-

-

Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Meaning of Christmas



It's December!
The month of bitter cold weather,
extra layers and scarves wrapped tight,
warm hot chocolate,
freshly baked cookies,
and beautiful lights adorning houses on each street.

It's the time we celebrate Christmas
We pick out the perfect Christmas tree,
turn up the Christmas music
and decorate with ornaments gathered & given to us throughout the years;


A time when we go out in to the hustle and bustle of town, 
spend an exuberant amount of time picking gifts to give to family members and friends, and wrap them in decorative paper.
It's the time when we get-together with family
and get messy with flour and frosting as we decorate gingerbread men and sugar cookies.

It's a joyous Season...at least in can be.

Amongst all the things that I mentioned above,
one can easily become overwhelmed with the busy schedules, parties,
and the "buy this" "get this" "I want this" aura of Christmas.

We can forget the real reason why we celebrate Christmas.
And if we don't forget we at least don't spend enough time thinking about it and rejoicing in Christ, the person behind the meaning of Christmas.

I know for me, I can get so caught up in everything the Christmas season brings, that I don't dwell enough on Christ, and the fact that God sent His son to earth to be born a child and live among us, and pay the GREAT price for our sins.
I don't rejoice enough in Jesus.


As December came around, I found myself asking this question...

Without all the "traditions" of Christmas,
if I didn't get to do the normal things,
such as, get a Christmas tree, bake cookies,
listen to Christmas music,
buy presents,
get presents,
if I had "nothing", in the human sense,...would I still be happy?

Would I still be able to celebrate God's great love for us in sending his son down to earth, to us lowly sinners to love us and save us from our sins?
Would I be able to celebrate Jesus,  and His love for us in being willing to humble himself for us, to come to earth and be born, and live and die for us?

File:Gerard van Honthorst 001.jpg
(from wikipedia)


We celebrate Christmas because of Jesus
I want to be focused on Him this season.
Amongst all the joyous festivities that Christmas brings,
let's not forget Jesus,
and that He is the reason for this season. ;)


My prayer for you and for me, is that God will help us to keep the real meaning of Christmas in our hearts and to remember our Lord, Jesus, and be able to rejoice in Him.

I love you all, and hope you have a blessed Christmas!


~Madi

P.S. I have a few Christmas knitting patterns that I would like to share with you.
But, I only want to share them if I have interested knitters out there who would use them.
How many of you are interested?
Please let me know via a comment!

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas, Madi! Thank you for this wonderful reminder - this year seems especially busy, so this post is really applicable this year!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for leaving me a comment and making my day that much sweeter! hope you have a blessed day, friend!
~Madi

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...