-

-

Saturday, February 16, 2013

a little bit about me



"Things that say a lot about people:
the way in which they treat the waiter/waitress
how they feel about the weather
whether they dog-ear pages or highlight in books
fingernails
and hands in general
their preferred creative outlet 
how much they dread/enjoy talking on the phone
whether or not they drink coffee
if they ever forget to eat
how honest they are with themselves (and others)
if they correct your grammar 
and whether or not they get nervous before haircuts."

i. When I go out to eat, which isn't often, I try to treat the waiter or waitress with courtesy and kindness. I'm not overly friendly, but smile politely and remember to say "thank you" to show my appreciation.

ii. I do love warm, sunny days. They make me happy. Especially when it's not overly hot and there's a slight breeze and the birds are singing. Yes, that is happiness. :) However, though I do love sunny weather, rainy weather doesn't tend to put me in a glum mood. I love to listen to the rain outside my window. There's just something about rainy weather that makes me thoughtful and contemplative. Listening to/watching the rain outside my window makes my heart ache with wonder and inspiration and encourages me to write.
 

iii. I used to be very uncomfortable about highlighting/underlining in books. But lately, I've begun to underline my favorite sections in my devotional books. I haven't ever underlined sections in my other books but have always tried to keep them in good condition. The thought of writing on/ or dog-earing the pages of my books just doesn't appeal to me and I don't know if I will ever feel comfortable making marks in my books. I would like for them to stay like new without distracting markings, so that each time they are read, the words will be special and fresh; free of distractions.

iv. I try to keep my fingernails short because of the fact that I play guitar (but they also don't grow in beautifully) and long nails aren't very conducive to making chords on my guitar. I think my nails look tidier when they're short, so I try to keep them that way.
 
v. My hands are average in size. In the cooler months they tend to be dry. I use lotion in attempt to keep them smooth, but  before long they're dry again once they've gotten wet. On my right hand, I have a writer's callous on my middle finger. It's from the large amount of writing I've done from jotting down notes for school, to writing letters (snail mail is the best!), to late night journal entries and reports written nearly every other day. Also, the fingertips on my left hand have callouses from playing guitar.

vi. Blogging, writing, photography--those are my creative outlets of choice. Somedays, the weather outside calls me and I grab the camera to snap pictures of trees, plants, and the often overlooked beauty in the simple things like the dew on grass, or the frost that collects on flowers, or the sunlight through branches covered in leaves. Writing from the heart in my journal or moleskin notebooks usually happens late at night when I have time to write and when my mind comes alive ( I know I should be sleeping) with ideas that I just have to jot down in my notebooks so I don't forget. Sometimes, I remind myself of Jo, from Little Women, who's mind would come alive at night too with thoughts and ideas for her dramatic stories.
 
vii. Yes, I get nervous before talking on the phone, though my nerves vary according to who I'm calling. I can feel my heart thumping loudly in my chest as I'm calling someone. I'm much more comfortable talking to close friends or family members than I am to people I don't know that well. Face-to-face interactions with people or corresponding through e-mails  are the modes of communication that I prefer rather than talking on the phone. :)
 
viii. I hate to say it, but I'm not a fan of coffee. I say that "I hate to say it" because I've always loved the smell of coffee and really really wanted to like it. When I was younger, I would keep trying and trying to like coffee, but alas, coffee is simply not my cup of tea (get it?). Yes, I'm a tea drinker. I absolutely ADORE tea. Herbal teas are my favorite. I'm sure I shall never get tired of tea. It's simply one of those wonderful things of life.
 
 
ix. Hmm. I definitley never "forget" to eat.  :) I LOVE eating and can eat a lot. However, occasionally, I get so focused on a project, assignment, or a chore, that I don't want to stop until I'm finished and I continue on with what I'm doing without breaking to eat; a choice I regret later in the day when I begin to feel weak and overly emotional. I just get so determined! :)

x. I try to be as honest as possible. Sometimes I say things when I don't really think them because I don't want to offend someone. I'm more honest with my family members and close friends than with aquaintences. I tend to try to find the one positive thing to talk about rather than being blatantly honest(with positives and negatives). There's a balance to find when communicating opinions and I know that there is time to be completely honest even if it's hard. I'm learning to be discerning. Usually, I'm too hard on myself which isn't good, but I'm working on that and learning to lean on God and focus on what is true.

xi. I usually don't correct other people's grammar unless it's my siblings. ;) I don't correct grammar out loud, that is. I  usually correct grammar in my head, and I do get slightly annoyed when there is a typo in a book or something. Good grammar is something I strive for, but I know I make many mistakes(and there's probably some in this post).

xii. I always get a bit nervous when I receive a new hairdresser who hasn't cut my hair before and I wonder if they'll understand the look I'm going for. I've never been too ambitious with my haircuts so I haven't gotten super nervous before a hair cut; but I did get nervous one time when I saw the amount  of hair that was being cut and began to think that maybe I had chosen to cut my hair too short. BUT I ended up liking it later. :) I think that if I decide to do something I've never done before like get bangs or something, I'll be most nervous anticipating my reaction to the outcome. Overall, though, I look forward to getting my haircut. The whole process is exciting to me.
 

I feel kind of weird writing a post all about myself. But, I saw that a few bloggers have done a "things that say a lot" post and thought to myself that it's a fun way to get to know fellow bloggers better. So, I did one too. :)
 
I'd love to hear your answers to these questions in a comment
or if you do a post like this, feel free to leave me a link!

Blessings!

~Madi

Inspired by this person via lovely girls// carlotta // mikailah  
 

 

12 comments:

  1. I did one of these posts awhile back. so much fun, right? loved reading your answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I have been loving these that some bloggers have been doing! fun stuff:)
    I totally only correct my sister's grammar;) haha and I always get nervous when I go to get my haircut;) but I always remind myself "it's hair, it will just grow back!;)"
    love this:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading these! I never have done anything drastic with my hair, yet even if I am just getting a trim I still freak out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh I so happened to stumble upon your blog and I'm really glad I did. Reading this post is a pleasant surprise because of the similar 'quirks' we share! It's crazy exciting that I can relate to everything you mentioned - except xi. - because my grammar isn't excellent so it's usually my brothers who correct me.

    I love that you have 7 siblings and still mingle so well with them. All very pretty, too, might I add? :)

    I've an Australian friend who's under homeschooling - she told me it was her preference, what about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, thanks for your kind words!

      I do prefer being homeschooled! I like the freedom that it provides to learn at your own pace without the stress of keeping up with the schedule of public school. :))

      Delete
  5. I love this post! beautiful pictures too! thanks for your lovely comment on my blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this, Madi! (so sorry i'm late commenting... ugh.) it was such a joy to read more about you! :) i loved all your answers, and beautiful pictures, friend! :) so good.

    ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  7. also, quickie question... what font did you use on that first picture? simply lovelyyyy! ;)

    oh, and your design is coming along!!! ;) hopefully it won't be too much longer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your sweet comment mikailah! the font I used is called Jellyka Wonderland Wine. haha weird name, huh?
      I'm so looking forward to seeing the design and getting it up here. :)) THANK YOU!

      ~Madi

      Delete
    2. haha, that is a weird name! ;) thanks for the info! i LOVE that font. :)
      yes, i'm looking forward to getting it up too. :] yay!

      xox

      Delete
  8. His expression in that picture is so adorable!
    Love it!
    -mal :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, fun! I always love learning quirky little things about people, it makes me feel like I know them better! :)
    Hope you're having a fabulous day!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

thank you for leaving me a comment and making my day that much sweeter! hope you have a blessed day, friend!
~Madi

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...