As a young girl, I loved having tea time with Grandma. My siblings and I would be so excited when tea time came around; my little brothers more so, I think, because of the goodies that appeared at that time.Tea time wasn't an everyday occasion, but we never put down an opportunity to enjoy it together. The goodies we would have were often a variety of cookies. Sometimes, however, grandma would bake her delicious homemade banana bread and bring it over for us to enjoy. Grandma's banana bread was my favorite complement for the occasion. Sometimes, when Grandma arrived, her bread was still warm and more often than not, Grandma would have baked a loaf of chocolate chip banana bread. If we were too impatient to wait until tea time (around 4 o clock), the tin foil, in which the bread was wrapped, would be off in minutes, and there, on the table would sit the warm, moist loaves of banana bread, just waiting to be eaten. The sweet scent of the banana bread that filled the kitchen would make our mouths water.
My mom would set the tea kettle on the stove, and soon, its high pitched shrill would let us know when the water was hot and ready. Gathering together, we would all choose our desired tea (Earl Grey was a favorite) and then we would decide between milk and sugar, or choose both. My siblings and I delighted in dropping a couple cubes of sugar into our hot water, and watching them dissolve. As some of us waited for our tea to cool enough to drink it without burning our tongues, others got ice cubes from the freezer so that their tea could cool down faster. My siblings and I enjoyed cutting thick slices of banana bread for ourselves and spreading generous dollops of cream cheese on top. After drinking multiple cups of tea and enjoying our treats, tea time would end with our stomachs feeling warm and full.
Since we've moved, Grandma hasn't been able to visit as often, and tea time hasn't been as frequent.
However, Grandma came to visit this weekend and brought her homebaked cookies.
When she mentioned that they were for tea time
I was instantly reminded of all the sweet times,
when as a young girl,
Grandma would come over
and we would enjoy tea and goodies together.
During the afternoon, my mom, brothers, sisters and I,
along with Grandma,
gathered around our wooden table in the kitchen
and had tea time together,
laughing, sipping tea,
and eating the sweet chocolate chip, peanut cookies
that my Grandma made.
It was a piece of my childhood played over again.
I hope that as the years go on
we shall have many more delightful tea times together.
How about you, do you have tea time, friend?
Much love and many blessings!
~Madi
P.S. so sorry for the poor quality of the last picture, sadly its the only picture that was taken of me and my siblings with Grandma the day she came to visit.









I love having tea with my grandma as well! Great memories! :)
ReplyDeleteThese sweet memories with your Gram will last forever, and someday you'll be telling your grandchildren or grand nieces/nephews about them! See how the sweetness just gets passed along?
ReplyDelete